Saturday, February 20, 2016

BONELUST Q&A: "How can I become your assistant or do an apprenticeship under you?"


I'm always so humbled to get this question. I love that I got so many of you interested in bone collecting, processing and art but everything done at BoneLust is a one woman show and will likely always stay that way. Not that I don't wish I had little packing gnomes helping me get orders out, but because I'm a very private person, I don't have an actual art studio or storefront.

Everything you see here, happens on my property and in my home. I don't honestly have the time to take on an apprentice right now either. I am already teaching my skills daily at my blog & countless social networking locations. If I ever have a workspace NOT at my home this may all change though!

Best I can do is to continue making educational posts here. In case you don't already know, this is where I share my lifetime of bone processing experience. Priceless info, free of charge. So take advantage of it.

As for learning how to do what I do as far as my art goes, I'm completely self taught. Literally a lifetime of experimenting with different art mediums. You're just going to have to dive right in and get your hands dirty. Experiment. Find what mediums YOU enjoy. Do countless hours of research online for supplies and processes. Create, research, experiment, repeat... again and again and again. This is how I do everything I do, daily. Good luck! Jana

3 comments:

The StarFire Witch / Bald Girl said...

Totally off topic.. But once a specimen has been in a peroxide bath for a few days, is it safe to say no diseases would be left on it?. I'm not nervous about myself, but more so my cats coming into contact with it. I have a Fischer cat skull. I cleaned. It even sat in my garage after wards for about two months cleaned. But my cat is sooo creeped out by it haha. Wanna doubly check he's just creeped out by a dead thing and not by something bad he might be smelling. There's no flesh left.
Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Dear Jana Miller, my name is Filipe and I'm a brazilian zoology teacher. Would you excuse my poor english knowledge. I recently took up the challenge to cleaning an manatee skeleton. But I definitely don´t know if I'm doing the right choices or the right steps for macerate a big mammal like a manatee. The animal died last week and during necropsy their bones were more or less clean. I bought two large plastic containers of 200 liters each and put the parts of the animal in and filled with water. The problem is that I think that the bones were not very clean and were still covered by a layer of rotting flesh. What would you recommend me to do in this case? I am sending you a picture of the situation (by Facebook). Thank you very much for your help and advices!

Jana Miller said...

The StarFire Witch / Bald Girl, i very highly doubt you or your cats could get anything from a properly processed skull. Especially if there is no flesh left and you soaked it in hydrogen peroxide for some time.